Synthetic ChemistDate Posted: 26/08/2019
Application Close: 30/09/2019
Location: Arcinova - Alnwick
An opportunity has arisen for a Synthetic Chemists to join the Drug Substance team. This is a full-time position working within an expanding team at our Alnwick site.
An opportunity has arisen for a Synthetic Chemists to join the Drug Substance team. This is a full-time position working within an expanding team at our Alnwick site. The ideal candidate should be able to plan, perform and manage chemical syntheses in accordance with regulatory and company procedures. They should also be able to prepare cost estimates and client proposals with assistance.
The key tasks of the position are:
- Being capable of managing small projects with assistance from more experienced staff. Communication with clients will primarily be through staff that are more senior. Involvement in major projects, taking guidance from other team members.
- Design synthetic routes. Prepare cost estimates and client proposals with assistance and in collaboration with BD liaise with clients to facilitate the award of projects to the department.
- Plan and perform syntheses and purifications of various chemical entities within agreed timeframes, taking into account scalability, safety and cost of goods for the proposed route.
- Maintain Laboratory Notebook, ensuring that this is countersigned
- Ensure, where required, that laboratory work and associated documentation complies with GMP or other regulatory requirements, internal policies/procedures and client requirements.
- Apply the skills highlighted above to the manufacture of non-pharmaceutical materials, impurities and degradation products at the milligram to low gram scale through to the tens of grams / tens of kilogram scale (for larger scale projects).
- Provide cover as required, for scale up and manufacturing phases.
- Perform in-process analytical testing where relevant and/or ensure that analytical, microbiological (where relevant) and materials science/spectroscopic testing needs are discussed and agreed with the QC team.
- Prepare data packages on such chemical entities so that the identity of same should be considered conclusively proven. Provide written reports to clients as necessary. Archive data after completion of project.
- Contribute to laboratory operations, equipment acquisition and maintenance, contracts, housekeeping, stock control, disposals and liaise with other departments dealing with such matters.
- Participate in process risk assessments for process to be scaled up on site.
- Produce and review GMP compliant Batch Synthesis Instructions and other process documentation.
- Work with due regard to health & safety of self and others.
- Work flexibly across the site to meet business needs.
- Knowledge and experience of synthetic chemistry covering route selection. Full awareness of the current regulatory environment, a comprehensive understanding of process analytical chemistry, impurity control and/or sufficient analytical skills to conduct in-process testing and a good understanding of the factors controlling API physical form. Good written and oral communication skills.
Level of independence associated with role:
- May require training on appreciation of scale up techniques and operation of scale up equipment. Requires regular supervision from Team Leader and mentoring from designated team members.
Educational qualifications relevant to role:
- An excellent record in Synthetic organic chemistry, either at Doctoral level or Graduate with minimum of one year’s relevant industrial experience.
To apply please email your letter of application, CV and any relevant supporting documents to Jodie Staton.
Send us your application